Words of a wise man – “SEO is all about good practice”. Nothing explains the concept of SEO better than this quote.
In the digital world, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the most used tool to generate organic traffic and getting a website ‘ranked’ on the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
This digital marketing tool entails three main practices:
This focuses on all of the content that exists on the page when viewing a website.
Both the content and HTML source code of a page can be optimized, as opposed to off-page SEO which refers to links and other external signals.
This includes researching keywords for their search volume and niche. Identifying these can help answer questions for readers and rank higher in SERPs (Search engine results page) those questions produce. Also optimizing title tags, content, internal links, and URLs is included in On-Page SEO.
This practice includes all activity ‘off-site’. It is aimed at looking at alternatives that may help increase your website’s rank in SERPs and organic traffic.
Some of the common techniques include; building do-follow backlinks, social profile building, backlink profile, guest posting, and commenting on relevant blogs.
The ideology behind this practice is similar to the saying; “Your Company defines you”. It is so because, with off page seo, you are improving the search engine and the user’s perception of a site’s popularity, relevance, trustworthiness, and authority.
SEO is highly focused on strategies and their execution. Here some easy to follow backlink building strategies:
- Outreach – This is all about presenting rank worthy content to the people in your niche. An easy way to do this is to create content (product, seo services, or brand) that is attention catching.
There is no person that does not like unique and quality pitch. HARO is a good example of trying to land a strong backlink, as it connects content makers to press (journalists and reports), who are working for the well-known press.
- Guest posting – Another effective strategy is to do guest posting. It is the oldest trick in the book for SEO experts. And why not, if something works, you stick with it.
The only update to this trick is that you find relevant websites/blogposts and you pitch your idea for a guest post. Put yourself in the competition.
- Broken Link building – In this fast-paced field, it can be difficult to get a broken link. There are tools that identify there are any broken links on a website. Once you find that crack, you pitch them an email.
When there is a will there is away.
- Unlinked mention – Sometimes, you will be mentioned without a link. You can use the fact that the author knows your work and can pitch for a link, where you are mentioned.
This includes the use of HTML and CSS and focuses more on the factor of how your website is coded, meaning the backend of a website.
Another important information is that there two types of SEO.
Black Hat SEO
This practice is not in accordance with search engine guidelines and it frowned upon. These are unethical practices and usually lead to a penalty by the search engine. Black hat techniques include:
- keyword stuffing
- using private link networks
Wanting to appear in SERPs is vital for any business growth. However, there is a right and wrong way of doing search engine optimization.
The practice of black hat SEO is the incorrect method. This method seeks to dodge search engine algorithms. They seek a shortcut for ranking in the SERPs, instead of trying to earn their rank. Continuing the use of black hat SEO techniques is more likely to damage your presence in search engines.
White hat SEO
White hat SEO refers to any and all practice that improves your search rankings on a search engine results page (SERP). All in all, while maintaining the ethics and integrity of your website and falling within the search engines’ guidelines. These tactics stay within the bounds as defined by Google or any other search engine.
Some of the common examples of white hat SEO include:
- Offering original quality content and services
- Fast site loading times and mobile-friendliness
- Using descriptive, keyword-rich meta tags
- Making your site easy to navigate
Search engine optimization is a lot of smarter and can identify when they are gaming. Good SEO practice leads to long term responsive and passive audience.
These are some of the most important aspects of digital tool SEO. Following this information leads to a fair and ethical battle in ‘ranking’ your website in SERPs.
Digital Marketing is a very competitive field. Fair play is a must.